Wednesday, July 30, 2008

WOLVERINE FILM FOOTAGE




WOLVERINE FILM FOOTAGE.



Liev Schreiber is Sabretooth. We didn't see that one coming AT ALL. It looks like the showdown is going to happen between the two. It looks like a lot is going to happen, and most of all, it looks really, really good.



Here is the only issue that I have ever had with this whole thing: Hugh Jackman. Is he really a Wolverine? I have to hand it to the man that he is acting like he is. I have to acknowledge the fact that he is working out, but he has always missed in my book. The Wolverine that I remember is from the Wolverine 4-issue Frank Miller mini-series wayyyy back in the 80s. Wolverine is about 2 feet shorter than Hugh Jackman. He is also burlier. He is a little pit-bull and not a great dane.



And while I am at it, I have to question Liev Schreiber in general. I have never seen him in a role where he had any physical presence whatsoever. Sure he has played his share of punks on the wrong side of the law...but to be Sabretooth? What are these people smoking? I will be very, very impressed if he rips off his shirt and looks anything different than a soggy pillow. The only think that I can think that works is his jawline. Other than that, Sabretooth is supposed to be grand and huge. Are they going to get into the aspect of Sabretooth being Wolverine's father? How is Hollywood going to handle this stuff? Based on what Singer did in groundwork for the series, I have a lot of faith. Based on what Brett Ratner did to the series in part 3, I have fear. Who is Gavin Hood? He seems to be some refugee from the Stargate SG-1 Series that I never got into. He directed and acted in that show. He also has directorial credits for RENDITION. Other than that? This jury is out...and the potential for screw-up might be close to monumental.



What am I saying? We have two actors here who don't really look like the comic book heroes that they are supposed to emulate. But the good thing is that they both KNOW HOW TO ACT. This might be the saving grace of it all. In all honesty, I am getting used to the Jackman Wolverine. I do think that the man is a goof, and built funny, but I am getting used to it. He can act though. He put me in check with THE PRESTIGE.



Here is the other thing that I am looking forward to: The backstory. The Wolverine story was always cloaked in some X-Files sort of secrecy back when I was reading comics. In all honesty, I don't really know what happened between Wolverine and the Mounties. I have heard people break down the Weapon X story, but I have yet to stare at those specific comics.



May 9th 2009 is a Long time from now. Based on this trailer, it seems that the film is in the can and they have a year to get their CG straight. Yes, this trailer looks good, but I have fear. I am not ready to give into the hype machine yet.



http://www.beyondhollywood.com/wolverine-comic-con-footagetrailer/



-Mediasaurus Rex