Thursday, January 22, 2009

MORE WOLVERINE NOIZE


JAN 21, 2009


There is so much hype about this upcoming movie that someone needs to step up and piss on the campfire. I heartily volunteer.

Something is wrong with this movie. I don't know what, but something is horribly wrong with it, and we are being told that everything is ok. Hugh Jackman's letter to AICN betrays a series of things. Here it is in a nutshell:I wanted to reach out and let you know that due to scheduling conflicts with certain cast members and location/weather considerations, we had to wait until now to shoot a couple of scenes. Please rest assured that WOLVERINE will be badass and hopefully meet all of your expectations. I am stoked by the positive response to the teaser, which clearly reflects the tone and scope of the film. If you like that, we've got much more in store!

This film has been in the can since at least last summer. Why is Fox sitting on it and doing reshoots? Why is Hugh Jackman going headlong into fanboy territory to stoke the fires? Something is amiss. The most notable false note is the director, Gavin Hood. This is a nobody, no comic-book RENDITION directing impostor.

The trailer looks good, but disjointed. Hugh Jackman looks veiny, but he doesn't feel like he has what he had in the X-men movies. Liev Schreiber as Sabretooth? X-Men 2 was where it was at with the Wolverine story, and this stuff that is showing up just doesn't feel right. There is a lot of bang and pow in that trailer. But think about the story that they say they are going to present: it is too grand. I predict emptiness. But hey, I could be wrong, check it out: Barack Obama is President and I was the number 1 doubter that America could wake up to that level of change.


*Edit*

And now Hugh Jackman is going to be the host of the next Academy Awards. I wonder...

More of my musings can be found HERE. Furthermore, you contact me at mailto:admin@mediasaurs.com