Thursday, November 26, 2009

NEW MOON - A BADASS REVIEW

NEW MOON - A BADASS MOVIE REVIEW
By: MRS. SITH

Let me first start off by saying I am pretty sure I was the oldest one in that theater. It was painfully packed with 800 thousand 12 year old girls, and the whole place smelled of popcorn and perfume.

Alright, now I am not the type of person to get all caught up in the hype over Twilight. Don't get me wrong, I really liked Robert Pattinson in Harry Potter as Cedric Diggory. He seems to be a fairly decent actor, and he is showing promise to be something great. But that’s about as far as my excitement goes.

I have watched the first Twilight movie, and I am currently reading the books. Thus far I don't think they are altogether bad, and this entire storyline is romance at its finest. However, this series has completely rewritten everything known to be true about vampires and werewolves. I personally love the scary mystique about vampires and the awesome raw power of werewolves. Traditionally vampires only travel at night, lurking in the shadows and feeding on the blood of humans. They sleep in coffins during the day, and they don't like garlic and holy water. And werewolves are to me the definition of power and grace. They are amazing people most of the time, and when there is a full moon, they turn into uncontrollable, ravenous beasts, destroying anything and everything that’s in their path.

This series has completely changed all that. I am happy that the younger generation is getting excited about werewolves and vampires, but this series has completely revamped (haha get it) everything known to be true about these amazing creatures. In this movie the vampires are "vegetarian" which means they only feed on the blood of animals. They don't turn to ash in the sunlight; they sparkle as if their bodies are completely covered with diamonds. They don't sleep at all, and they go to school. They have graduated so many times (in the first movie) that there is a wall full of graduation caps. The werewolves--oh my, my, my--the werewolves, are nothing short of breathtaking. They are members of the local Indian tribe and are more like the incredible hulk than a werewolf. I guess that would make them the Incredible Werewolf. They are able to change at will, or if provoked. They are truly amazing.

The basic plot involves a vampire, Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson), who falls in love with a mortal girl, Isabella Swan (Kristen Stewart). Throughout the first movie they are together constantly. Then in the beginning of the second movie, in an effort to protect her, he leaves Forks Washington: "I promise it will be like I never existed," he says. Like any woman would be, Isabella is depressed and sad. She keeps trying to contact Edward’s "sister," Alice, via email in an effort to find him again to no avail. All of her emails get sent back, "message send failed."

Isabella finally begins hanging out with Jacob who also happens to be a werewolf. They hang out almost everyday. They build motorcycles, he shows her the reservation, and he begins to fall for her. Then in one last effort to see Edward, Isabella tries cliff diving. She successfully makes the jump but is quickly overcome by a wave. Jacob pulls her out and takes her home.

Meanwhile, Alice has seen a vision of Isabella dying in a cliff diving accident and rushes to make sure she is ok. Edward finds out about the reason for Alice's visit to Isabella, is overcome by grief, and goes to Rome to try to kill himself. Alice has the vision that Edward is going to do this, and she and Isabella race to Rome to save him. Isabella makes it to him before he is able to kill himself. Edward, being so grateful she is alive and still so very much in love with her, moves back to Forks to be with her again.

Upon Edward and Isabella's return to Forks, they run into a less-than-happy Jacob, and there is almost a fight between Jacob and Edward over Isabella. Isabella ends the fight, and Jacob, heartbroken, goes on his way.

This to me is probably the greatest story of forbidden love since Romeo and Juliet, to which, by the way, there are many clever references throughout the movie. I really enjoyed the action and fantastic CGI (especially with the werewolves), and the romance was enough to make any woman swoon. The things Edward would say to Isabella would bring a tear to Hades himself. "I couldn't bear to live in a world where you didn't exist" are words that made my heart jump and skip a beat all at the same time. People just don't talk that way or feel that way about other people anymore. It was touching.

In a world full of hate, war, and greed, this movie is a good reminder that there is still kindness, love, and sacrifice. Throughout the movie, I found myself thinking of the only one who is my soul and how I couldn't live in a world where he didn't exist. He is my air, my strength, and he is the light in my skies. He is my Edward. I really enjoyed this movie, and I give it 4 out of 5 Sith Stars.
"These violent delights have violent ends, and in their triumph die, like fire and powder, which as they kiss consume." Romeo and Juliet, Act II, Scene VI

-Mrs. Sith

MEDIASAURS MAIN PAGE

CONTACT M-REX HERE