Sunday, July 27, 2014

Bringing the Mediasaurs Back

So, the Mediasaurs has been dead for a few years.  There are many explanations for this.  Please read on.

1. First and foremost, it is HARD to try to eke out a living online.  I did all of the right things, but i just couldn't get to a level with the Mediasaurs where I really felt like I was getting anywhere.  So I had to get a real job (with real benefits).

2. I have been disillusioned by pop culture. 

This is true.  I haven't seen a series of decent films in years.  By "series" I don't mean, "Star Wars" or, "Harry Potter," what I mean is a series, a season maybe, of decent films.  The general product that is coming out of a-list Hollywood is in need of a lot of help. 

Now I have always been a fan and champion of the independent films that are out there.  I cut a LOT of slack to independent filmmakers, but in all truth, most aren't delivering decent product. 

Initially, I thought that there would be more "diamonds in the rough" than there have been.  Finding a decent movie that fires on all cylinders is a hard thing to do.  I basically got tired of slogging my way through mediocrity.  I hate a bad movie, and I hate a bad movie more if there is nothing quotable or cool underneath the lack of budget, plot and acting skills.

3. I have been writing other things.

First and foremost, I am a writer.  I have been writing up a storm, I just haven't been publishing it online.  I've been in the middle of a novel, some short stories and a few different screenplay hustles since I have been away.  Also, there is this Philip K. Dick project that I have been working on.

I have a voice.  I know I have a voice.  Sometimes, I need to just keep a leash on that voice for a stretch and work out concepts in my journals before I drop them online.

4.  Mediasaurs left a strange taste in my mouth.

This is one of the more honest things you will ever read on this blog, so brace yourself.

My eldest son and I started the Mediasaurs.  He was a sophomore in high school and he was in need of some attention and a project.  We came up with this thing and pushed it through. 

Push came to shove though, and my son moved out of the house and moved on with his life.  With that came his abandoning of the Mediasaurs.  I continued it with the hopes that he might come back, or we might be able to heal some rifts between us through working together, but that wasn't goin to happen.  The Mediasaurs became representative of all of the angst and bad-will that were piling up between my son and myself, and I just couldn't enjoy it anymore.


Going forward I plan on updating the Mediasaurs blog fairly regularly.  Especially if I see something that I really like. Again, it won't just be limited to film, but it will be a showcasing of the things in pop culture that have gotten my attention.  However, I am not going to be online, updating the front pge of a website and hustling links all over the place to secure more hits.  I am just going to relax and let it go.  If there are no updates for weeks on end, then you, gentle reader, will know that there is nothing out there that interests me enough to write about.

For example, video games.  I feel that the medium is bloated and sloppy.  Why can't real writers write the stories that become video games?  I have played through many different PS2 and PS3 games of late where at the end, I feel ripped off, because someone who didn't know how to write, somehow got paid to pen together a swiss-cheese story.   In fact, I was out of state on vacation, and I had the distinct epiphany that I hadn't played any form of video game in over two weeks!  Coupled with that revelation was the knowledge that there really wasn't a video game at the Gamestop that I wanted enough to learn how to play it. 

PS4?  I still haven't finished harnessing all of the PS3 goodness.  I just don't see a PS4 happening in our household anytime soon.

So maybe you won't be seeing too many video game reviews, but hopefully, I will do a better job of keeping this place alive over the next stretch.

Yes, the Mediasaurs have been dead for a few years, but I'm not done with the concept quite yet.

-Peter